The Presidents’ Alliance on Higher Education and Immigration hosted a webinar, International Students and Immigrants in Medicine and Healthcare: Challenges and Barriers, on May 26, 2021.
International students and immigrants in the medical and scientific fields are a highly visible group in the U.S., from the corridors of medical schools and hospitals to research laboratories. Despite their large presence and their critical contributions during the pandemic, international students and foreign-born workers in these fields continue to face significant immigration barriers related to entry and their ability to stay and work, and an overall lack of information and resources available to them as they navigate these hurdles.
This event featured experts on the current policy and legal frameworks affecting these issues; current and former students and healthcare workers (including non-physicians) and their perspectives, experiences, and pathways; and reflections from leaders in the healthcare education field.
You can find the agenda and speaker bios here.
- Dan Berger, Partner at Curran, Berger and Kludt
- Azan Virji, Co-founder of F-1 Doctors, MD Candidate, Harvard Medical School
- Dr. Favorite Iradukunda, Assistant Professor, College of Nursing, University of
- Dr. Tafadzwa Muguwe, Director of Strategic Partnerships at PathAI
- Dr. David Skorton, President and CEO, Association of American Medical Colleges
- Dr. Rajika Bhandari, Senior Advisor, Presidents’ Alliance